Search This Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

Guns Save Lives at High School Reunions

Today has been an interesting and rather fun day. I ate out for every meal, having breakfast, lunch, and dinner with three different old friends. It was quite a nice change of pace, and I found it rather productive too. It's amazing how many things you can accomplish when you know you get a moment - or in my case, 3 moments - of peace with the world.

This brings me to the topic of this evening's post. Two things came up during my adventures today (actually many things came up, but these are the two I wanted to share with you all): high school reunions and firearms. We'll start with the reunions.

I was enjoying my green curry for lunch at a local Thai place, when my friend reminded me that her 10 year high school reunion is in August. (Of course this means my 10 year reunion is next August...) We also did the math and came to the realization that she graduated 10 years ago tomorrow. We talked about school and classes, people we remembered, and her graduation ceremony with the atrocious speeches. Then I had this little moment of panic: have I really been out of high school for this long? A bunch of people I graduated with are already married - some are on their second marriage - and many have kids.

While we were on the subject of kids, my friend reminded me that there was a young girl pregnant at her graduation; her child will be 10 soon! That's a decade! I can't imagine having a 10 year old, and I can barely imagine someone my age having a 10 year old. I know I am old enough to have sired a child in some night of wild unprotected coitis, but that imaginary hypothetical is never aged more than an infant. Now I don't want you to think that I am hard on young parents, I'm not at all - I love kids, and I love it when people decide to have children. I pressure my married friends to have kids all the time (primarily by suggesting outlandish baby names, but that's another story). I just can't imagine - at this stage in my life - actually being responsible for another human being. My biological clock is ticking, but it's not pounding just yet.

Reunions too - those are things I'm not ready for. Sure my memories of high school are becoming more like STAR WARS - long long ago in a galaxy far far away - but 10 years? Hell, I'm not ready for a reunion. Someone needs to double check the math, because as of right now I have a year to drop ten pounds, find a hairstyle that works, and find a hot piece of arm/eye candy to parade in front of people who will all be silently (or not so silently) judging my every move. And it's not like I should care, but I do... I want to show them that I have done something with my life, and it's a little un-cool to drag around a projector with a power point presentation, slides armed and ready to click out my portfolio at any lull in the conversation. I have to show off in other ways.

In general, I think a bunch of this need to show off stems from my envy of happy married people. I want that, you know? I'd like to have that kind of happiness before I make it to my reunion, but even if that doesn't happen, a relationship would be nice. I think after this whole road trip thing, this blog may be dedicated to me finding a boyfriend! Stay tuned...


Now for the next topic:

Did you know: GUNS SAVE LIVES? It's true, guns save lives. How do I know? A bumper sticker told me. That's right, a bumper sticker informed me of this fact on my way to dinner. The bumper sticker was promoting a grass roots movement for - you guessed it - guns.

Now, I am a bleeding heart liberal, so many of you may find this next statement shocking: I support America's right to own guns. The second amendment clearly states:

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

We as Americans have a right to bear arms. Hunters use guns to catch their prey, police officers use guns, and many people have guns to protect their homes and themselves from violent crime. I do, however, advocate gun control. If you do not prove to be responsible, or have proven to be a detriment to yourself and/or society, you forfeit your second amendment right.

That being said, who the fuck actually believes "guns save lives?" I've heard of "guns don't kill people; people kill people." Yes! Very true! Guns usually, however, make it easier. "People kill people, with guns." No one has ever saved someone's life with a gun. Think of the after-school special that would have made: Thank God you shot him - NOW JOHNNY WILL LIVE! A doctor has never prescribed a gun for a headache. Here take this prescription, it's for two AK-47s every night before bed. A therapist has never suggested a patient purchase a Colt 45. When you're on a boat you don't strap on a life preserver and a revolver. Playing Russian Roulette doesn't cure cancer! Guns DON'T save lives!

When it comes to lives, guns have a way of royally fucking them up. This did not stop me, however, from bursting out laughing when I first read the bumper sticker. I couldn't shake the image of oversized handguns putting on scrubs and lab coats, shouting things like "STAT!" and doing chest compressions on an ER patient. Think of Grey's Anatomy, only instead of McDreamy and McSteamy it was McSmith & Wesson.

3 comments:

  1. HAHA Excellent post Marc! It is hard to believe that 10 years has passed since the days of pomp and circumstance. I worry sometimes what people will think of me if I were to go to a reunion. I am 27, married with 2 kids, and I cook for a living. Not some swanky place, an Applebees.Oh and I blog too. But then I think, it doesn't matter how they judge. I am happy where I'm at. Poor in goods, but rich in family and love. The days of acting high school have long passed, so those who are still engaged, 10 years down the road, are the ones who never mattered to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true John, very true. I'm glad you're rich in family and love - that's totally what I want! I think as long as you're happy that's all that matters. My friend and I also mentioned that we were so happy that we didn't "peak" in high school. You know - those people who forever want to relive their "glory days."

    FYI, you better go to the reunion. I want to see you there. What is your blog called? I'd like to follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's called "The DaddyYo Blog" .. it's a Dad-Blog I write now. Been at it a couple of months - http://daddyyoeffinrox.blogspot.com ... I'll be moving it to a new url soon, and I'll let you know.

    And maybe I'll be there. It would be great to see you again. Still too far away for me to guarantee it though. Kids can change every plan you ever make LOL

    ReplyDelete