Search This Blog

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Keys, Offices, and Observations

So about two and a half weeks ago, I gave up the keys to my old office in Mississippi - along with my keys to all the campus facilities and the building my office was in. This is typical when you leave a job - most employers discourage you from keeping keys - liability and whatnot, but I didn't realize how much I would be giving up when I gave up my keys.

It was difficult to hand over my keys - not because I want to keep the job - that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm excited about the change and very happy with my decision to leave. It's just that - even with all the stress and hardships - there were some great moments here. I really came into myself as a teacher, and I really enjoyed teaching my classes. Those are the things I am choosing to remember about my time in Mississippi - at least the things I will keep close to my heart. Giving up the keys represented a finality to that - the closing of a chapter that I wasn't ready to close. I was ready to close all the other chapters, but that one - the one chapter that I felt was worth re-reading, I was not ready to close.

I got over it. I got over it quickly. I went back to SC, met with old friends, and was again excited for the move. To continue the metaphor, I was ready to open the new book - start a new chapter. And just like books, you don't have to forget about the old one when you start a new one. You are allowed to remember the previous book, and reference it at any time. It's just a moving on - not an erasure. So back I drove to Mississippi to begin phase two of the move.

For monetary purposes (i.e. the fact that I'm poor, and can't afford a moving company), I decided to move in three phases. Phase one was the initial: "I need to go," response. I packed my car as tightly as possible, and went. I drove to SC with as much stuff as I could. Phase two is basically the completion of phase one. It's the return to gather the rest of the chochkees, books, and other small items. Phase three is the final phase. It's the phase where I rent a small U-haul and move my bedroom set and chairs. Granted this does take more time than hiring a moving company or renting a large U-haul, but it is much cheaper.

Now I'm back in MS, and again I am lamenting the loss of my keys, and thinking that maybe I should have kept them until the end of at least phase two... See, I'm rather cheap, and since my office and workplace had free wifi everywhere, there was no need for me to purchase Internet for my townhouse. I thought I could always come back to work to pirate the Internet, but when you no longer have keys it's not quite so easy.

Hence why I am sitting in my car at this moment, in a make-shift office, blogging away. I can't get into the building to sit inside, and I don't want to risk getting rained on sitting outside, so this was the best alternative. I not only gave up a primary connection with my students when I gave up my office, but I also gave up my Internet service (not counting the 3G coverage on my Verizon Wireless Blackberry - but for those of you who have ever tried to do all of your computing on a Blackberry, you know, it get's old).

You may be wondering why I didn't just go to a Starbucks... I did! I yearned for the nice ambiance of a commercial coffee corporation, but apparently you have to purchase a card to get access to the FREE wifi. Now, I don't want to shake a rattle, but IF YOU HAVE TO MAKE A PURCHASE, IT'S NOT FREE!

Oh well, I enjoy my car / office, it's actually quite peaceful, and has plenty of natural light. I wonder why we even bother with offices at all really? This car (I'm currently in a Kia Rondo) with it's backseat folded down - provides a great work table (I really would only need an adapter to charge my laptop). I could put a few books against the walls. Joey could sit in the front seat if I wanted to bring him. Best of all, you can take this office anywhere! I could drive this office to any destination (at least any destination on campus if I want to keep the free Internet).

The only real drawback is well - the bathroom situation. This is not a traffic jam on the interstate - I am not peeing in a bottle because I can't hold it any longer... Speaking of, I really can't hold it any longer, (those venti iced skinny hazelnut lattes have a way of going right through me). So I really have two choices: 1) drive the office to a restroom or 2) risk being arrested for public urination. I'm opting for one. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment