Search This Blog

Saturday, July 17, 2010

California Dreamin' with Zombies

I am now back in SC. After my appointment with the security system people, I did some laundry, bought some curtains for the bedroom, and got plenty of sleep. Apparently, if dreams are any indication of reality - the zombies will be attacking soon.

Cara and I were in Alabama when it happened. I was attending a pool party at the home of some random church-goer, when an obese man infected with the virus - leapt into the water and began attacking people. Now Alabama is not very safe from zombie attack. It's hot and humid, so naturally the virus spread like wildfire - jumping from church-goer to church-goer as people scattered looking for weapons and supplies. A few of my friends and I - along with a man immune to the virus - managed to commandeer a vehicle and chart our way out of Alabama. We set our sights on Los Angeles - since the government set up safe-zones in major cities - and I wanted to go to LA.

The virus was not species specific, and quickly made the transition to all species by rapidly adapting. Pretty soon, even animals were not safe - and I had to kill many pets that had become infected. Even Cara's cat Trixie and my Joey had become zombies. They looked entirely different in the dream, however...

Once in LA - which was mostly under water due to a massive flood - we learned that the government had developed a vaccine! It was too late for our immune friend, however, who in fact was not immune, but had a delayed response to the virus. He had to be put down. When it was discovered that many of the "immune" actually had delayed responses, Los Angeles was no longer a safe-zone. The fish began to eat the bodies, and then they too became infected. I tried to kill a group of fish in an aquarium after they became infected, but as the glass of the aquarium broke - a school of rabid neons flew through the air toward my face. I had to escape with my apartment broker - who was helping me look for apartments near Hollywood - on her airboat (you know - the kind you see in the bayou or in the Everglades).

And that's where the dream ends - me living in California... with the zombies.

The dream hit two fundamental things - my new found desire to live in California, and my fear of the Krippen virus (the name I Am Legend gives to the zombie producing virus). What could be better? I don't know, maybe tonight I could dream about biking away from the Alien Queen? Or I could show up at my new job and discover it's now run by heinous former co-workers? Thanks subconscious - you keep my dream-life interesting.


In other news:

Joey bit the sh*t out of me today. He was angry when i first came home, but now he refuses to leave me alone. I had to lock him in his cage just to work on the blog. Poor little guy missed me; I missed him too.

A friend of mine and I have decided to take a trip to Charleston for my birthday! That should be a lot of fun, and a great way to continue the spirit of my road-trip. I have decided to do mini-roadtrips the rest of the summer to extend my experience further. I'm considering the weekend in Charleston one of these mini-roadtrips.

I am still loading the video diaries from the road trip, but I'm not sure they will ever load, so I may need to post St. Louis sans the video diaries. I am not too happy about that, but if they won't fricking load to youtube, then I don't know where they'll load. If any of you have ideas about loading the videos, let me know... I'm willing to try anything at this point. One of the videos has been loading since 4:30 this afternoon and has yet to post (it's only 48% done too).

My insurance company has finally paid my physician! It took a lot of squeaking, but I guess that's what had to be done. I hate shaking my rattle more than once, but damn. The whole situation has made me think of the insurance industry as one gigantic scam. I'm not sure if we wouldn't all be better without it, but I guess it is a necessary evil.

In a follow-up to the earlier post about Shirley Phelps-Roper at LAX, I found myself wondering which is worse - people like Westboro church-goers or the Marin foundation? I discovered the Marin foundation today after someone posted a comment about them on a friend's Facebook. The post was praising Marin while condemning Westboro, but after some research, I'm not sure how I feel. At least the Westboro crowd is very upfront about what they believe. The Marin people believe in apologizing and building bridges with Love, but with the ultimate goal of gay to straight conversion. They neglect to mention that in their initial dialogues, and like to lure gay people into their organization and even go so far as to convince gay groups into giving them money to promote their ministries. I think the only thing that makes Westboro worse is their picketing of soldiers' funerals. Soldiers have nothing to do with gay rights in this country, they are just doing their jobs. As far as misusing the name of Love, however, I think that's right up there with the politics of Hate.

2 comments: