Search This Blog

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Banking with Idiots

I wrote this a while back, but instead chose to post SIMPLE THINGS, because it was more relevant to my life. Right now, I'm testing out a new living situation with one of my oldest friends. We've known each other since 4th grade, and I recently moved in with her. We're doing a trial run to see how things work out (i.e. to see if my cat allergies don't drive me crazy, and if a parrot can safely live in the house). So far, so good, but we still have many days left in the week. Anyway, not much interesting happened today, so I thought I'd share this from a a week or so ago:

So today I had to stop by the bank to deposit a check. The check wasn't for much, but a deposit is a very quick bit of business if you have done your work before you arrive. I arrive at the bank, and immediately head to the drive-thru to find it rather packed. All three lanes are busy, and a single car is backed up rather far from the other cars - blocking the pass through, and creating a long line. (BTW, how hard is it to pick a lane? I mean just pick one; it's a drive through.) After another car leaves, the indecisive one takes its place, and the rest of us file in behind other cars in the lines. I get behind the indecisive car, (like a total idiot) and soon discover I have made a big mistake.

We are in the lane adjacent to the bank, when the lady in the indecisive car begins to ask a bunch of questions of the teller. She wants to make a deposit, but hasn't filled out a deposit ticket. Apparently, she didn't know you needed one. The teller tells her that she needed to come inside and you know - actually fill out a deposit ticket. So the lady asks if she should come inside, and the bank teller says not to worry about it and goes away from the window to fetch the lady a blank deposit ticket. So, of course the woman then fills out the deposit ticket - in the drive through line, but before that she gets into a conversation with the teller about ATMs. Here is a sample of their long and rather loud conversation:

Teller: "Yes mam, you can use the ATM around the corner."

Lady: "Is it just like other ATMs? Will it have instructions on the screen?"

Me: "Of course it's just like the other ATMs!" (Did I mention my window was down, and voices tend to carry there?)

Somewhere in here, I back up (the line has cleared down a bit). I don't care what your third grade teacher told you; there are such things as stupid questions. "Will it have instructions on the screen?" No, you stick your card in and do the hokey-pokey. (I may have said that out loud too...) Of course it will have instructions on the screen; it's an ATM!

Anyway, I end up getting the space furthest from the bank (probably for the best - lest I say something else that might be overheard), and finish my banking, (rather quickly I might add), but it left me wondering... How do some people function on a daily basis? It must be a struggle for some people to put pants on in the morning. Then - out of the blue - I realize that others have enabled this lady to be an idiot. The bank teller let her fill out the form - while blocking the line - when she should have made her go inside. I got behind her in line, even though she had shown that simple line formation was a thinking skill far beyond her reach. And some other idiot at the DVM issued that woman a driver's license. To my count there are at least 4 idiots to blame for my extended time at the bank, or at least one idiot and three idiot enablers.

That's all I've got, and frankly if running into an idiot at the bank was the only thing that happened - I count that as one good and boring day on the perturbed rattle front.

No comments:

Post a Comment