Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

New Haircut Attitudes


So today, I got my hair cut. It was my first haircut in two years, and it was the first time I had ever been to an actual salon, and not one of those discount chains or a barber shop. If you have never been to an actual salon, let me tell you, there is a big difference. My stylist, Leah, made me feel so important - like I was the only person that mattered in the moment, and I received a deep conditioning mask - something I've never gotten at a discount chain. (I mean the discount places always did condition my hair, but they never let it sit. It's an in and out sort of deal.) It was extremely relaxing, and I found myself wishing that someone else would wash my hair more often.

My new hair looks rather amazing. (Think Jake Gyllenhaal in Prince of Persia.) It was exactly what I asked for, with a few additional touches added by the professional. I am incredibly pleased.

It is amazing how great a new haircut can make you feel. I feel on top of the world, lighter, cooler (temperature and otherwise), and I can't stop running my fingers through it. A great haircut really makes you feel so much better about yourself and your day. It's quite amazing the change.

After my haircut was over, I went to pay and tip my stylist. Now most places allow you to add the tip via your credit card, but this place did not. The lady who checked me out didn't seem to like it when I asked if that was an option, and informed me that the only accept "cash and checks only for tips." Her sour disposition and generally poor attitude rubbed me the wrong way. I asked if there was an ATM in the building, and I was informed there was not. I attempted to lighten the mood by saying "well that's unfortunate," trying to joke with her a bit, but she wasn't amused.

I had always been worried to go to an actual salon, because I feared that the people there would be bitchy, overly judgmental, bring their drama to work kind of people. (That and the cost difference, but you do get what you pay for...) I found my worries to be far from the truth, however, my stylist was great, the receptionist was nice, everyone I had met thus far seemed pleasant, but here I was face to face with what I had feared... a bitter Betty.

That's when I remembered that some people are just ants at a picnic. No matter what is going on around them, they have to poison the mood with their toxic attitudes. I also remembered that I shouldn't cast pearls among swine. No matter how nice I was, I wasn't going to change her attitude, so I stopped trying. All anyone can do is affect his/her own attitude - not anybody else's. So I stayed positive to keep myself positive, and it worked. There are no ants allowed at my picnic! (Not today at least).

The other receptionist, as I said before, was much nicer. She seemed a little worn down, but I probably would be too if I worked with a picnic ant. I'm glad though, that she is there. If she weren't there, there would only be an attitude problem greeting people, and attitude problems shouldn't be a part of the haircut experience (just like ants shouldn't be part of a picnic).

After traveling all over that part of town looking for an ATM (and a place that would make change), I finally drove back to the salon and tipped Leah. She was with a client, so I left it with the nice receptionist. I don't think they were expecting me back, but I wasn't about to let her go un-tipped. (My hair looks too awesome to not have tipped.)

In the end, I was proud of myself for not letting a picnic ant get me down. I think too often, we as a society let the moods of others affect our own. I know I'm guilty of it. I can be having a glorious day, and someone comes along and ruins it with a harsh word or a piss poor attitude. An entire day can be affected by the negative energy of someone else. But, we have a choice. We can choose to not let ants at our picnics.

I think the next time we encounter ants at our picnics, we should treat it as if we've just gotten new haircuts. I think part of my ability to let bitter Betty's attitude slide off was due to my new haircut. You feel so good after a haircut, your hair has been washed, conditioned, blown dry, and styled (all by someone else - a professional at that!) - it feels great to the touch, and you look your best. If we approach everyday with a new haircut attitude, there would be no ants at our picnics. I think I'm going to try this strategy.

Oh, and if you are like me, and have never been to an actual salon - it is very worth it. Don't worry about the price difference, it isn't that much, and you deserve to be pampered. Don't be your own picnic ant.

No comments:

Post a Comment