Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Love is a Bundle of Feathers.


I know all responsible pet owners love their pets, and there are a thousand stories just like the one I'm about to tell, but still, my Joey is one of the most important beings in my life. Even though this hand-sized ball of feathers bites sometimes and can be incredibly stubborn, he continually gives me unconditional love and endless joy.

Recently, I found myself pondering Joey's mortality; what would happen to me if this hand-sized ball of feathers were not around? The answer is simple; I would be entirely devastated. I don't think I could handle a tragedy befalling my little buddy. There have been days this past year when I found it hard to get out of bed, until I heard my little parrot chirping and fussing. There were days when nothing went right at work, but I had a cheerful feathered baby at home who would give me birdie kisses and ask me: "who's my Joey?" I would respond, "who's MY Joey? You're my Joey," and then he would rise up high on his little feet, puff up, cluck and respond, "I love you!" "I love you too baby."

There was one day, several months ago, when I came home, sat down in my chair - and just cried. It was a deep heavy sobbing from a deep heavy pain. Joey hopped over to me on his playpen next to my chair. Normally he is very self-absorbed, "good Joey," "pretty Joey," everything involves Joey, but not this time. He came over on his perch, clucked softly once, and then sat very quiet - just staring. I reached over to pick him up (still crying heavily), and he came to me and just sat on my chest - quietly watching me with his big brown eyes. "Daddy's really sad," I told him, and he just stayed at my collar line - looking at me with those large bird eyes. It was like he knew that what I really needed was just a friend to sit and quietly listen - to just be there. He sat there quietly until I had calmed down, and then played on his playpen. He had - and still has never been - better behaved than on that day.

I think this is the power of our furry and feathered children, their ability to sense our moods, wrap themselves around us, and love us just for being. People really forget to love each other; we're too quick to not forgive; we let life stop us from loving and caring for others. Our pets, however, remember to love us in spite of our moods, and don't let unimportant things stand in front of their love for us. Somewhere in humanity's endless pursuit of being bigger, better, and more evolved, we have forgotten some of the "human" qualities of creatures like birds, dogs, and cats - abandoning some instinctual nature for "self-betterment."

Now, I'm not saying that animals are perfect; Joey poops whenever and wherever he feels like it, but people could truly learn a few things about love - particularly the unconditional kind from their pets. What if we loved each other the way a dog loves his master, the way a cat loves to cuddle up next to his owner, or the way a Joey loves his Daddy? The world would be a better place.

I can't help worrying about Joey; I think of him like my child. Really the only difference is Joey has a cage and doesn't have diapers. (FYI, I know birds are different from human babies, and an actual baby is a Hell of a lot more work, but right now Joey's what I got.) He turned 1 back in April, and I threw him a "Birdie's First Hatchday" party complete with presents, cake, ice cream, beer, party hats, a card signed by all the guests, and a button for his cage that read: "It's My B-day!" I may have gone a touch overboard, but he deserved it. He's a good bird, and I spoil my baby.

If you have a special animal in your life, let him/her know how much they mean to you. They may not understand the words, but they do understand love. Joey has added so much richness and warmth to my life; I hope we share many many more years together. Here's to my feathered baby!

1 comment:

  1. aww, I feel the same way about my trixie, shes a bundle of love and when Im sad she knows, somehow.

    ReplyDelete