Search This Blog

Monday, June 28, 2010

A Wedding and a Funeral

My best friend from college got married this weekend. The wedding was really beautiful. It was simple, elegant and classy like the bride - my best friend, but it was also rustic and country (it was in a small church in rural SC) very much like her fiance (now husband). All in all, as I watched from the back row, I thought it celebrated their union very well. I almost, however, didn't make it in time.

I had said that I would videotape the ceremony, and was going to arrive early to do so, but I was a complete dumbass. I misjudged the time it would take to get to the church, and then there was traffic - a lot of traffic. Now we already know I am an unintentional lead foot, but in this situation, I was a bat out of Hell. The moment I realized my error in time, I shot up to 15 miles over the speed limit. Then I hit traffic, and had to slow down well below the speed limit.

That didn't stop me from riding some ass, however, and I managed to drive what was supposed to be an hour and twenty minute drive in under fifty six minutes.

I swear I did not think it took that long to get to Whitmire from here, but after I climbed into the driver's seat and started to go, something felt odd. So I calculated the minutes in my head - then I panicked. I called my friend's mother and sister to let them know about my mistake, and to have someone set up the camera for me (I wasn't providing the camera - thank God). No one answered, because in typical wedding fashion - at 3:30 they we already ready and prepped for the ceremony at 4.

What really bothered me is that I had put so much time into getting ready for the ceremony, and I was careless with the one thing that mattered - getting to the church on time! I had realized on Friday that I needed shoes. (Shoes are in Birmingham). So on Saturday I went shoe shopping, but I also discovered I needed a tie (None of my ties matched my shirt) - and some new slacks wouldn't hurt (I didn't want to wear too much black). I spent the whole of Saturday morning searching for the perfect outfit for this wedding. So, I was royally mad at myself for not being better prepared for the drive.

I also started to worry that I had ruined the couple's happy day (of course, this is disaster thinking, and it's something I am working on), but it didn't make me much happier with myself. I envisioned my friend angrily kicking me out of her wedding, frantically yelling about how I had ruined her ceremony. (Thankfully, my friend is not nearly this high-strung, and very level headed). Luckily they had a backup, and everything went off without a hitch. I arrived at 4 on the dot, just in time for the ceremony and to see my friend walk down the isle.

She was absolutely stunning in her gown. I have always said that she is the most beautiful woman I know, but there truly weren't words; she was glowing. Her husband is truly a lucky man, and he knows it. She makes him so happy; when I was talking with him at the reception, he was glowing too.

No one was angry with me; they were just happy I arrived in time. It took me the rest of the day to stop beating myself up, and I still regret not being able to be punctual, but in the end I have to remind myself that everyone makes mistakes.

On a happier note, my outfit was amazing. I had silver/grey slacks with a soft blue tonal striped shirt, a bold blue paisley tie, black vest, black shoes, and black belt. My vest and socks were the only items of clothing in my possession before Saturday morning.

This was the second wedding of close friends that I have had the privilege of witnessing. The other took place a little over a year ago in Michigan. Both ceremonies were short, intimate, and two of the most beautiful weddings I have seen. It wasn't necessarily about the location - (although the shores of Lower Heron Lake and the rural church in Whitmire were both beautiful) - it was about the love. I am so happy my friends have found love, and I wish them all the happiness in the world. I only hope that one day I can find someone who'll love me, and I can love - the way those couples love each other. I think then, I'll be truly blessed.


While my good friend was getting married, another friend was saying goodbye. Last year, around the same time my father passed away - her father passed away too. On Thursday, her mother passed away. I couldn't go to the funeral, because I was already committed to the wedding, and only an act of God (or a car accident) would have kept me from the wedding. I'm going to visit her tomorrow. I'm not sure how one goes about dealing with the loss of both parents within a year, and I'm not sure how much of a comfort I can be. Hopefully I can give her a crying shoulder or a listening ear for at least a little bit of time.


In other news: Phase 2 of the move to Birmingham (Phase 4 total for those keeping count) begins Wednesday. I am setting up my bedroom getting a few things in order in Alabama before heading to Detroit on the 3rd to begin the road trip with Cara! So - get ready... road trip stories will be starting soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment