Search This Blog

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Waiting

I've been rather bored recently. I attribute this to not being able to go to work everyday. Work gives me a sense of purpose - of greater being, and not having that in my everyday routine at the moment is driving me a little Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. I try to find things around the house to do, but dishes and vacuuming themselves get boring after a while, and you can never see the long term effects of housework.

I would get a part-time job, but if I move to Alabama, I'd have to quit it in August; and with both Phase 3 of the move and the road trip in the near future, it isn't practical to even apply. I will apply next week, however, if Alabama turns me down, and let them know I can start as soon as I get back from San Diego. Hopefully Alabama will hire me, and then I won't have to worry about it. I can go and enjoy the road trip, without the ever-looming job hunt in front of me. I do have another potential job here in SC (one I could also swing a part-time job with), so if Alabama doesn't pan out - I still can hold out hope for them, but it's the waiting that is driving me crazy.

I wish the answers were instantaneous when you interview/apply for a position. Think of how nice it would be if you didn't have to wait, if as soon as you applied for a position, you knew the outcome. Maybe it's because I'm part of the Burger King Generation (I want it my way and I want it fast), but I feel like a lot of the hiring process could be streamlined to take less time. For instance, sometimes I have been asked to submit materials repeatedly for the same job. That seems redundant. If you have submitted materials once, especially electronically - the materials should be able to find their way to the appropriate places without the proverbial hoops to jump through. This will probably come with time - technology seems to make things more difficult for a while before it makes things easier. I guess I shouldn't complain, however, because if paper copies had to be submitted for everything, I'd probably still be applying insead of blogging.

Truthfully, Alabama is being rather quick with their decision. I have been given a deadline next week, and when that day comes I will know. I'm just getting a touch stir-crazy from anticipation and waiting.

The SC job hasn't yet given me a date, so I'm not sure. I followed up two weeks ago, and was told that the decision would be made toward the end of summer. I understand their reasoning for the wait, but I'm not sure what they mean by "end of summer." Does that mean when shcool starts back? Does that mean when the season officially changes from summer to autumn? It only adds to the waiting - the being in limbo.

Both jobs are incredible opportunities for me, and I know it will be worth the wait, if one of them comes through. It's just the waiting makes me restless, and the restless makes me bored, and I move without purpose. If there's one thing I dislike - it's moving without purpose. Movement needs to be purpose driven for life to have meaning. If my movement lacks purpose, how long before my life lacks meaning? I know that's a stretch, but that's part of the waiting.

I guess everyone is waiting. John Mayer is waiting for the world to change, and maybe we all are. I know I am. I'm waiting to hear about job opportunities - just like a bunch of other Americans. The world is waiting on BP to clean up the Gulf and stop the oil spill. We're waiting on a world free from terrorists. Some are waiting for our perfect partners or spouses. Others are just waiting for Godot. What are you waiting for? Is it worth the wait?

2 comments:

  1. Hard to know when to stop waiting sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyygoETj47M

    are we? we are the waiting.

    ReplyDelete